How I Got Into Weightlifting
I was pretty active throughout my life. I was a gymnast for 9 years, and my coach would have us on a strict diet and workout plan for competition season. We would practice 5 days a week for 4 hours and have summer camps where we would practice everyday for 2 weeks straight. My gymnastics career ended early my freshman year of high school due to an injury. I really started to struggle with staying active and healthy after that. I started to binge eat whatever I wanted and kept putting off exercise because for once in my life, I didn't have to follow a strict plan. These habits obviously made me gain a bunch of weight and made me become severely depressed. Around my sophomore year in high school, I developed an eating disorder and wouldn't eat for days at a time. This lasted throughout the rest of high school. When I graduated, I took a year off school to really focus on myself. I started to workout again (mainly cardio) but my appetite still wasn't there and I struggled with eating properly. This is around the time I saw my favorite fitness influencer for the first time, Hanna Oberg. I would watch her videos everyday and study them. I eventually made my own workout plan and slowly got back into a routine. She also educated me on nutrition and I learned how to get over my fear of food. I started to eat more and started lifting heavier. This is when I started seeing results that actually made me happy. Ever since I started weightlifting, which was about a year ago today, I have seen a huge improvement in my mental health as well as my physical health. Looking back at how unhealthy and unhappy I was, I truly believe that weightlifting saved me.
I have three sisters who all have competed in gymnastics for many years and can agree with the strictness the coaches held and the dedication needed to practice year round. It sucks your career was cut short, but everything happens for a reason and you seem to be succeeding after hitting that bump. I have a similar fitness influencer i tend to watch (Steve Cook) who i get most of my knowledge from. Glad you are receiving positive mental and physical results.
ReplyDelete